One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Pisanki



We have always made Pisanki for Easter in our family.

Maris loved making Pisanki.

I made this Pisanka for Maris.

I chose the design elements with certain things in mind.

It is red, white, and blue to honor his military service,of which we were so proud and grateful.

An 8-pointed star represents regeneration. Baptismal fonts, for example, are 8-sided. The rays of the sun illuminate the 8 directions. The 8-pointed star represents the sun as well.

The ladders represent travel and communion between the worlds of the living and the dead.

The flowers represent the beauty of nature.

There are so many other motifs and colors I could have used. But I will make another Pisanka for Maris next year. The story will go on forever. As long as someone makes Pisanki, the world will go on existing.

1 comment:

Raymond Butta said...

Such a beautiful egg, Deena. I too have missed Maris with both his brothers around during Easter. I miss his calls to us. Mister Seaney called today to see how we were doing. He is a very nice man. Maybe he too is picking up on the energies.