One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Lacuna

I am close to finishing The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  I have mentioned it on the Butta Family Blog.


now that UI am closer to the end of the book, I realize more and more how much it reminds me of Maris.


the author uses  metaphors such as "the well of hopelessness."...howler monkeys...and more.  The protagonist is like maris in various ways.  It is a hard book to read.  


it is about assumptions people make about each other, and how lives are destroyed because of this.


The book takes place between the 1930s and 1950s, and how the witchhunts against communism destroyed the lives of innocent people.

I came across a review that describes the book better than I can...click HERE to read it.


the name of the novel, the lacuna, is taken from a statement that reappears  periodically in the book.  The lacuna is the empty space....what is left out.


"The most important thing about a person is always the thing you don't know".

No comments: