One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Two Kinds

There are 2 kinds of people in the world: those who are suicidal and those who are not.

Maybe there is a suicide gene, same as there is an addictive personality gene. Obviously if you have the suicide gene, your chances of having it removed from the gene pool are high

At the last L.O.S.S. meeting, a young woman who had had suicidal thoughts herself spoke up to reassure people that she did not contemplate suicide because she felt unloved or rejected or abused. She said the only person she wanted to get away from was herself.

This was extremely enlightening to me. I am grateful she shared this insight. I might never have stumbled upon it on my own.

I have regretted knowing so little about psychology in general and suicide in particular. I browsed the books about suicide in the library catalog the other day, but felt unmotivated to read the books because it seemed like too little too late.

My total ignorance about this subject did not help Maris. If I had been less ignorant, I might have recognized the signs.

The other 2 kinds of people in the world are those who prefer either Brave New World or 1984.

I would never choose to live in Brave New world because I dedicatemyself totally to the Truth; and likving in a doped-up state like the citizens of Brave New world would be extrem,ely distasteful to me. Harsh as it is, at least the citizens of 1984 knew the reality. They had to live with the reality that they destroyed history and committed other atrocities, but at least they were aware of the truth in spite of being powerless.

1984 is a grim book. It is ironically the last thing Maris read before he died.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me Brave New World was more disturbing of a dystopia, because everyone within it happy. Huxley provides a challenge to contemporary thinking that says that to be happy we need to have all our cares and unpleasantness taken care. I was reminded that even a classic untilitarian like John Stuart Mill wrote that is was better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied.

Jonathon Moore said...

Sam and I both really like Brave New World. Maris Butta would always argue that he liked 1984 because he said it was more closer to reality. I would debate with him that the future was more like a mix between the two books. It would just say that he was being a realist.