One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Darkness Visible

I just finished reading Darkness Visible: a Memoir of Madness by William Styron.

It is a quick read. Lycky for Styron he was taken to a hospital before he ended his life, because he was making plans in that direction.

It only gradually dawned on him what his problem was. It seemed to take him a long time to deeduce it objectively. His shrink sounds pill-oriented, and did not come across as very dedicated or caring or even very bright.

As Styron is a good writer, it was interesting to read his description of deprerssion and suicidal thoughts.

I seem to be reading exclusively this kind of thing these days. I compare different writers' descriptions because I hope in this way to derive a composite image that might help me understand. Each book I have read so far adds another piece to the puzzle.

But I am still at the stage where I am sorting the puzzle pieces by color and shape. And I have no idea what the picture even is.

It sounds as if Styron's issues were worsened by having the wrong prescription. And beinig in the hospital made him feel more peaceful and secure, which also helped his state of mind. So of course he thinks highly of this approach. And he had nothing else standing in the way of his from taking this approach.

Lucky for him.

I have not read anything else by Styron, but I have seen the movie Sophie's Choice, which was omne of the most disturbing movies I have seen, and so agonizing to watch that I am not sure I have the strength to read anything more by him.

Thinking of having to be Sophie is possibly the closest one can come to the feeling of what depression might feel like: It is a description of a very cruel and evil universe. I am happy for Styron that he began to feel better,

No comments: