One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman


I bought copies of this wonderful book to give as Halloween gifts to a bunch of people last fall.
I wanted everyone to read it, because I enjoyed it so much, and thought it was a special book. I hoped Maris would enjoy it, too.
It is about a boy who is orphaned as an infant, and raised by ghosts and other graveyard characters. Much of the plot revolves around his forming connections, learning who he is and how to believe in himself, and solving the murder of his mother.
It will appeal to everyone who feels like an outsider, or doesn''t fit in. It shows how you can be raised under unusual conditions by people who care about you, and end up having a good heart and good character, and being a fine, intelligent, original person.
I mailed a copy to Maris on October 20, thinking he would get it well before Halloween. I never realized how slow the mail service is to Hawai,,,or that there was any rush.
The book did not arrive until some time after October 26. I am very disappointed about that. It might have cheered Maris up.

No comments: