One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Moths

They are talking about moths on NPR.

what a horror!

I have a moth phobia. My skin is now crawling. Maybe I should just turn off the radio.

At one point Maris was diagnosed with a social phobia. Is a social phobia like a moth phobia in quality? Do you sweat at the mere thought of having to deal with people?

I used to have that problem. I was terrified of people. People told me I was shy. I think shyness and social phobia are 2 different things.

Mom said I was unkind to people. I just wished people would leave me alone; Is that shyness? or is it social phobia? or is it simply a matter of bad character?

Maybe Maris and I went through life thinking we were bad when we merely had a social phobia.

I kept telling him that what makes a person good or bad is not what goes through their mond, or what they feel, but the choices they make.

If you have a social phobia, or if you have dysthymia, do you really have free will? what can you choose or not choose?

Not sure when I finally overcame my terror of people. Maybe I just got so used to it I stopped thinking about it. I will never be gregarious. But at least I can sort of function around people better than I could when I was a little kid.

And I certainly do wish the best for people. Being terrified of people is not at all the same as wishing them harm.

I have good intentions towards people, and I know Maris did, too.

I am sad that I passed along defective genes to Maris. The last thing I wished for him was to have to go through what I went through growing up. But it was even worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all go through periods of social phobia. I just think Maris was so vulnerable in certain areas of his life. His vulnerablility was undermined somehow and the mental illness won out. I can't believe he just wanted out of this body so bad. I think this was a mistake somehow...a game that may have gotten out of hand. Raymond