One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Log Cabin Quilt


I so wanted to make a quilt for Maris. I wanted to wrap him in love, so that he would feel cozy and secure.

I managed to make a quilt for Philip because he was a young kid and he kept after me about it. But Alek is still waiting for his quilt, and so is Maris.

I took Maris to the Quilter's Palette Shop to look at fabric. I was pretty sure he would want prints in shades of warm gray, black, and white, with maybe some olice green tossed in. But he also liked red.

There was a beautiful fabric in shades of gray that he liked because it looked like smoke.
We decided the Log Cabin block would be perfect for Maris, because at the center of each block is a square of red that represents the fire on the hearth of the log cabin. Maris liked fire, and at one time walked about wanting to be a fireman or, when he got older, of majoring in fire science and technology. He was really hoping the Air Force would have wanted him to be a fireman, but they had enough firemen.

Because Maris was so interested in the Underground Railroad, I planned to make one o the squares with a black square for the hearth (which meant the house owning that quilt was a stop on tne Underground Railroad). Maris was very compassionate towards people who were worse off thanhimself, and I wanted the quilt to symbolize that people would always have a safe haven with Maris.

We went home to measure his bed, to see how much fabric we would need; and also to choose some log cabin patters from my books. When I went back to buy it a few weeks later, the shop had gone out of business.

I did not get my act together to locate another quilt store. It seemed as if there was never enough time to travel the distance to other quilt shps, that were further away.

I stupidly thought I had plenty of time to make the quilt.

Yet another disappointment.

Do not ever put anything off for the future!!

No comments: