One Third of My Light Is Gone

"...And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it,, and the night in like manner." --Rev. 8:12

I have three sons. One of them is in the spirit world. On October 26, 2009, one third of the light in my life went out forever.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Whom Was Maris Named After?





Maris was supposed to have been a Pisces. Instead his sun sign was Scorpio. That is how early he was born. We had not yet picked out names. We were so worried about the baby simply surviving that we had not had time to do any of those fun, relaxed prenatal activities.

When the hospital staff came to get his name for the birth certificate, I did not want the same thing to happen that happened when Alek was born...hey said they would come back in a while to get the middle name (over which we had some disagreement) and they never came back. We discovered 5 years later Alek's birth certificate bore the name "Baby Boy Butta."

So I quickly spit out the first names that came to mind: Maris and Michael.

Maris Liepa was my favorite ballet dancer. Here is Liepa's obituary. I had seen him perform the part of Crassus in the Spartacus Ballet, and never got over it. I sat in the 5th row from the front at Chicago's Civic Opera House at this amazing, incredible ballet. Afterwards went backstage to get Liepa's autograph. Wow! one of the high points of my life.

Michael Carl Pabisinski 1965-1993 was my cousin and godson; and he was Maris's godfather.

No comments: